Mixed in one bowl this French Country Apple Cake bakes up with a custardy middle filled with apples and a crackly walnut and sugar topping.
- 1 stick (8 tbs) unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup full fat sour cream
- 2 large apples peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts finely chopped
- salted caramel sauce for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip together the butter and 1 cup of the sugar until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth.